Pages

Search This Blog

25.6.18

WHAT I HAVE LEARNT IN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS OF BEING A FIRST TIME MUM



I'm back, and with yet another baby related post. Hurrah!

It feels like it's been ages since I last shared something on here so I thought I'd kick things off with a post dedicated to what I have learnt since becoming a mum.

In all honesty, it feels like I’ve barely had time to breathe lately. I am just six months into parenting and I must admit that it has been a whirlwind at a best and a hurricane at worst. Every time I gain confidence and think I have it all figured out Hendrix enters a new milestone and a new phase of difficultness begins.

1. YOU CAN'T DO EVERYTHING

I certainly don't class myself as a perfectionist but I have always believed in the 'tidy space, tidy mind' approach and have really struggled with balancing everything. I spend a lot of time at home which results in major attention to detail - you know that wall you've been meaning to paint for the past two months and the upcycle project you were meant to finish early this year... We've all been there but it's important to remind yourself that it's OK if something doesn't get done.

2. IT TAKES A WHILE TO ADJUST

I really hoped to settle into motherhood quickly - you know the whole "motherhood comes naturally" bullshit... And although I am a lot more confident in my new role, I am still getting used to a lot of things and that's really OK. Mastering anything in life takes time so don't be too hard on yourself (don't I sound like a mum already?)

3. LITTLE THINGS ARE EVERYTHING

A horrendous and exhausting day can be turned around in an instant. A smile, a giggle, a funny expression. Hendrix playing with his favourite toy. Hendrix being amazed by the tiniest things. Hendrix exploring new tastes.

It is the little things that are worth every sleepless night.

Lack of time and space to carve out alone time has also made me appreciate the tiniest things - enjoying a hot cup of tea for example!!

4. EVERY STAGE HAS IT'S UPS AND DOWNS

As you enter each milestone, you will be given plenty of advice from the "know it all's" and be told to watch out for *insert something shit here* and although each stage really does have its ups and downs, each stage is also super exciting and rewarding.

*Hendrix sat up properly by himself a few weeks ago now and it was one of the best moments ever!!

5. YOUR LIFE CHANGES A LOT

I have struggled with this one a lot. I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for how much your life is going to change. Personally looking after Hendrix was the easiest task for me; it was everything else that came with it. I just didn't feel like me anymore (still experience this on bad days) and found my new role overwhelming. I suddenly had no freedom, no flexibility, no time and although we still have bad days, you adapt. Hendrix comes everywhere with me and although our outings may not be as perfect as we make them look on Instagram stories as they mostly involve sick, or a grumpy crying baby, H is always by my side bringing me so much joy on daily basis. We are best friends.


6. ANXIETY DOESN'T LAST FOREVER 

Now, this is a big one. I remember feeling extremely anxious about everything: leaving the house with H, Hendrix crying in public, getting an uber with H, having to change his nappy when out and about, is he eating enough, is he getting enough sleep, am I doing enough?
And although I still find myself worrying now and again, I've learnt to relax and not to care. People's opinions and judgements no longer matter as Hendrix is the most important thing in my life so as long as he is a content baby, I am happy.

7. THINGS TAKE TWICE AS LONG

You are no longer able to just get up and go. Leaving the house with a baby involves preparation so be prepared to be super early or super late.


8. YOU SUDDENLY BECOME MORE MATURE

Don't get me wrong. I still have immature moments but becoming a mum has taught me awareness. It has also taught me not to put up with bullshit.

Your daily life and interests change and you will find yourself connecting with different people. I find myself sympathizing with strangers and their daily struggles and celebrating other mums triumphs. I definitely understand the amount of juggling it takes to build and maintain a household.

9. MULTITASKING BECOMES SECOND NATURE

There's nothing to add to this one. You gradually become a master of multitasking.

10. IT GETS EASIER!!

Now, this one is especially aimed at all the new mums that are finding themselves crying in bed or the shower simply because they feel exhausted and totally overwhelmed. We have all been there and trust me I never thought I would say this but it really does get easier. With time you learn to understand your baby and as they develop, a lot changes.



The first six months of being a mum have been harder than I ever expected but also a lot more emotionally rewarding than I prepared myself for. The time has flown by and motherhood has taught me a lot already and I am sure it will continue to test my patience for many years to come.

The love that you feel for your baby is out of this world and it grows every single day so just hang on in there.

I hope you've enjoyed reading and I would love to hear what you have learnt as a parent?

Love,

A x







No comments:

Post a Comment