Pages

Search This Blog

11.5.18

HENDRIX EMERSON



I guess you have all figured out why I haven't posted in a long while and left you all in limbo - We welcomed our little baby H to the world on 2nd January 2018 and we could not be more in love. He is just perfect in every shape and form.

I thought it was finally time to update you on what has been going on the past few months and apologise for my disappearance. It's crazy to think that Hendrix is already 4 months old and so much has changed since we first arrived home. They say that the first few weeks are most precious but as a first time parent I think they are also most challenging; I was suddenly responsible to love and nurture another human being which was quite overwhelming and slightly terrifying. Looking back everything is a blur, and there is no difference between day and night; all of my time and energy was consumed by a tiny human. There is a lot to learn and although the instinct does come naturally, at that point I had no idea that it would and constantly worried about doing things 'right'.



Again, being a first time parent comes with pressure and many challenges however, I soon realised that you find your own way. Although is it perfectly fine to take advice, it is important not to get caught up in what others say and stay confident in your new role as it really makes the difference.

Hendrix has always been quite a content baby with sporadic mood swings, he has also been a very clingy baby up to about 10 weeks old. He liked to be held and carried most of the time and slept best when in my arms. This meant ZERO time to myself. I knew that introducing a simple routine would help but decided to wait until H was a little older and let him take the lead. He was fed on demand and soothed when he was frustrated and upset.

Lack of routine and loneliness is certainly one of the most difficult parts about becoming a first time mum. I am naturally quite an organised person and feel that adapting a routine has helped us both a lot as it gives me purpose and it means I have the time to take care of our home as well as have time to myself (if I am lucky).

For the past month or so I have been following a fairly simple routine - eat, play, sleep. Now, there are many different methods out there and everybody will be keen to give you plenty of advice however, I find that following this easy pattern works best for us both. I believe that the original idea behind this simple routine is from 'Secrets of the baby whisper' book however I am sure you can easily access more information on the web.



As mentioned earlier, our schedule is simple and Hendrix is fed every 3+ hours and 6+ hours at night time and although I believe following a schedule has many benefits as it has improved his sleeping pattern and mood, I don't believe in the 'one-size-fits-all' approach therefore I don't stress about it too much. I do believe that a lot of it is down to my confidence and attitude as I feel much more relaxed and have learnt to distinguish the difference between him being hungry and just being fussy or bored.

He has developed so much in the past 4 months and is a proper little boy now. I honestly couldn't wait for him to reach certain milestones (smiling etc.) but the time has flown, it makes me wish I had a pause button. Hendrix still requires a lot of attention but in a completely different way, he is a very alert, active and curious baby meaning he wants to be entertained.

It is funny when they say that your life changes forever, but honestly that could not be closer to the truth. Although I am still adapting to motherhood and do find it extremely effortful at times, I have never looked at something, the way I do with Hendrix and have my heart instantly fill with love. It can be very difficult to get anything done or have any time to myself, but he has already brought so much joy to our life.

On that note, I am going to end this here for now. I can't wait to continue to share more content and updates on Hendrix's development.

Love, A x

No comments:

Post a Comment